The requirements for Communications merit badge were revised effective January 1, 1998.
Communications is a required merit badge for the Eagle Scout rank.
- Develop a plan to teach a skill. Have your merit badge counselor approve the plan. Make
teaching aids. Carry out your plan. With your counselor, check to see if you have
successfully taught the skill.
- Choose a product or service. Build a sales plan based on its good points. Try to
"sell" your merit badge counselor on buying it from you. Talk with the counselor
about how well you did in telling about the product or service and convincing the
counselor to buy it.
- Do the following:
- Show how you would make a telephone call inviting an expert in the field of your choice
to give a demonstration to your unit on that person's area of expertise.
- Show how to create an effective recorded message and how to leave a voice-mail message.
- Do the following:
- Write a 5-minute speech. Give it at a meeting of a group.
- Show how to introduce a guest speaker.
- Attend a town meeting where two or three points of view are being given. Listen and take
notes. Make a report from your notes. Tell your troop or patrol what you think you heard.
- Do ONE of the following:
- Write to the editor of a magazine or your local newspaper to express your opinion or
share information (on any subject you choose). Or, write to an individual or organization
to request information (on any subject). Send your message by fax or electronic mail, if
possible. Otherwise, mail a traditional paper letter.
- Create a page on the World Wide Web for yourself or to give information about your unit,
school, or other organization. Include at least one article and one photograph or
- Use desktop publishing to produce a newsletter, brochure, flier, or other printed
material for your unit, school, chartered organization, or other group. Include at least
one article and one photograph or illustration.
- Plan a troop court of honor or campfire program. Give it to the patrol leader's council
for approval. Write the script. Prepare the program for reproduction. Act as master of
- Prepare an autobiographical resume that you would use in applying for a job.
- Check careers in the field of communications. Choose one career and discuss with your
counselor the qualifications and preparation needed for it.
Back To The Eagle Required Merit Badges